1300 victory for Davy

editorial image
Have your say

DAVY Reynolds came through a highly completive field of 1300 Stock Cars to claim victory in the final at Nutts Corner Raceway.

Andy Scott edged into the lead at the greens with a determined Dan Shannon in tow. Reynolds was soon making his presence felt in a great three way action-packed battle for the lead. Reynolds was no push over on his attempt for glory.

He soon pushed through with Shannon just as keen keeping the pressure on Reynolds. Gary Lee had a burst of exuberance landing him in third and with the arrival of Willie Stewart Lee was rather hard on his fellow racer in a fierce swipe towards the fence. Lee was quick to retire and Stewart did likewise.

Back at the front Reynolds was still fending off Shannon in a fight to the finish. Richard Taylor came through well to settle in third. Reynolds stayed the distance in a great and exciting finally crossing the finish line first ahead of Shannon and Taylor a safe third. Robbie Browne, Connor Smith, Wayne Hewitt, Ben Armstrong, Colin Woods, Scott, Ryan Barrett and Raymond Harper were the other finishers. Shannon took his first win in the class in the opening heat and Stewart also had his first win in heat two in his debut in the class.

Graham Fegan was in scintillating form to lift the F2 Stock Car Golden Helmet Final award. Two Qualifying heats preceded the final and Fegan won both on a very wet track.

The rain poured down for the final and at the green flag pole setter Fegan was past briefly by Chris Kincaid but Fegan fought back to gain the lead. Craig McConnell was soon on Fegan’s rear bumper and slipped through to lead. Fegan tried to regain the lead but came off worse in a tangle with McConnell and spun around.

The race was halted when Willie Murray hit the fence hard and had to be assisted out of his car. At the restart McConnell sailed away ahead of Kincaid, Ryan McCrory, Jeff Minish, Fegan, Denver Grattan and Gregg Hyndman. Fegan started his charge forward picking off his opposition all in quick succession to move up to second. The race was now on for supremacy and Fegan just ate up the ground on the leader and in the closing laps eased past McConnell and on to a super win lifting the Golden Helmet award.

McConnell was a good runner up and Minish wrenched the final podium spot from Kincaid on the last lap. Grattan also had a fine finish clinching fourth on the line from Kincaid. Hyndman can feel pleased with his sixth place on his first race in the class at the track.

Glenn Bell left his best to the last in the National Hot Rod World Qualifying round 14 final. Heat one went to Gary Woolsey after he broke down early leader Andy Cochrane.

John Christie came through for second and Stewart Doak was third. In heat two Cochrane kept his nose in front to clinch victory ahead of Bell and Christie. Cochrane got a great start to lead in the final with Woolsey and Keith Martin dicing for second.

Bell soon moved up to challenge Woolsey and Martin and after a few close encounters Bell was up to second. Cochrane was a good half lap ahead but lap after lap Bell gradually reduced the deficit and was on his rear bumper in the final few laps.

Bell went through easily and on to a magnificent victory. Cochrane held on for second. Doak, Christie, Woolsey, Martin and Adam Maxwell were the other finishers.

Jaimie McCurdy was back on the winning trail taking a fine win in the Junior Rod final. Antony Kincaid was first to show speed leading off the final but had Mark Rainey to contend with on his rear bumper.

Calvin Blake was also in the trio and Kincaid ended spun out. Bradley McKinstry hit the fence when his steering broke and the race had to be stopped to remove his car.

At the restart Rainey powered away as Dylan Magee and McCurdy fell into second and third respectively. Peter Greer, Dean McCrory, Aaron Moody and Robert Mawhinney were all battling hard for the next pacing’s.

Magee claimed the lead with McCurdy also move into second as Rainey fell well back down the order. With only four laps remaining McCurdy grabbed the lead and went on to carry the chequered flag. Magee was runner up ahead of McCrory, Greer, Moody, Rainey, Mawhinney and Marc Winchester.

McKinstry was the master in heat one winning ahead of McCrory and Magee. Mawhinney held his nerve for a marvellous heat two win leaving Rainey second and Magee third.

Ryan Stewart switched classes from the 1300 Stock Cars to the Super 1600s and stamped his authority on the class with his win in the final.

Thomas Megarry was in control in the opening laps with Jonny Kirk up in second and Richie Browne in third. Brown still enjoying his sideways drive got himself to the pinnacle with Stewart and James Goldie in hot pursuit and waiting on any slip ups from Browne.

Goldie force his way to the front only for Browne to regain the leading position. Stewart battled back to take the lead from Browne and on to his first final win in the class. Browne, Kirk, Megarry, Stephen McClinton, Goldie and Gerard Caldwell were the best of the rest. Goldie and Megarry were the heat winners.

Racing is back at the Raceway on Wednesday May 16 at 7.30pm. The ORC Lightning Rods are just part of the evening’s entertainment. The Junior Rods will battle it out for the Golden Helmet Award. Add the popular F2 Stock Cars and the exciting Bash and Bang 1300 Stock Cars it will be excellent night of Stock Car Racing. Don’t miss it!

Back to the top of the page